Monday, December 17, 2007

Wine from Michigan

You do know that every state in the United States now has some commercial wine production. Last June I happened to be traveling along I-94 in southwest Michigan and I came upon some wine outlets just off the freeway. We stopped first at a St. Julian wine outlet. The wines were as expected - thin, sweet and unappealing. But right next to them was another winery outlet from an outfit called the Round Barn Winery. These folks from Baroda, MI do know their stuff. Now, I think some of the finest white wines in the country come from the Leelenau Penninsula of upper lower Michigan. But, red wines from Michigan? I actually found some palatable red wines from this place. They have a Merlot that is not too shabby at all. On the lower end is their "Vineyard Red". I was eating a maple cheddar burger tonight and this wine went very nicely. It's not a serious wine by any means but with a nice crisp acidity and a good cherry fruit this matched great with a cheeseburger.

No comments: